This time we have the honour to present to you Augustinas Bacvinka aka ~winiP, a young and very talented children illustrator from the beautiful Lithuania. He loves reading, painting and living a colourful life.
Childrens Illustrator Presents: Chitchatting with winiP!
Hello and welcome to our interview room!
Can you tell us who you are in a nutshell ? Where do you come from, what's your work, and what's your shoe size ?
- Hello kids! Happy you invited me here. Frankly, I'm Augustinas Bacvinka from the unknown land of Lithuania. If people say that it's always raining here, they had never been in this beautiful land. Just a little number of my secret keepers know that I'm a IT student at technology university. Yep, as I grow up , I'll be a programmer (*hacking your computer*) .. I also work in a publishing house as a designer, that's how I earn for food. I've already illustrated two books and I'm willing to illustrate a hundred more! By the way , my shoe size is 40 and I've got a damn cool boots yesterday !
What mediums do you work with, and why those ?
- I use all mediums. Acrylics, oils , crayons, color pencils and of course my Wacom. Although I use the digipen mostly, because I don't have time to work with traditional media.. but I always have a canvas with a started painting. My traditional works are always in the town gallery. Furthermore all my sketches are made by a soft pencils.
Tell us about your creation process: what turns you on, what gets you mad, what brings you into the divine state of inspiration... We want to know everything!
- Probably I should start with a making of sketch. Where ever I go, I always have one notebook with a blank pages. I would never sell that book because there is a real place there my drawings come to this world. I wouldn't make any of my illustrations without my sketchbook. The biggest inspiration to draw I always get during my exam session! This is the worst thing that happens to me. Maybe it's because the stress or something, but I cant learn anything while another Deviant submission isn't made. As I said, the most important thing is sketches. It's not a big deal for me to color or to finish and idea that I've already have drawn with a pencil. The hardest part is to make a good composition and a rich idea.
Of course I have my Muse. My Belle.. She always helps me (she is from art school )
Do you ever get stuck in front of the famous "blank page/canvas" ? How do you move forward?
- Well, yes. Sometimes I begin to paint without any idea. I always solve the Blank page problem with a simple background filling. Its much more easier to draw on colored canvas ! If that doesn't help, I pick the random CD from my sisters collection. I try to get any interesting Fraze that could become a interesting thing to draw. If I can't draw after this, I take a look at <a href="[link]>my tutorial</a> , that I've made for you !!!
We all have various inspirations that may come from music or sounds, art, food, whatever... What are yours?
- I can spend four hours non stop, watching the beautiful works in Deviant-art. Maybe this is the place where my passion to draw comes from, because I always wanted to become a better one. Music is another great thing that makes my to draw. But I always listen to one song while drawing (one peace I make in about two days ). Food doesn't inspire me at all. It just make my stomach silent! But the biggest inspiration I get from books. I was used to read a lot at school and I love to dream everywhere. University slightly stop my creativity. Finally it's summer!
Do you remember, as a child, what books or graphic style you liked most?
- Of course I remember! I remember that one day my mom gave a present. It was Tony Wolfs "Forest tales" (I guess..). From that day I began to learn reading, because I've never seen prettier illustrations , and I wanted to know everything that happened in that forest. After that I got two books by John Patience ! It was "Rip Van Winkle" and "The Pied Piper Of Hamelin". The biggest inspiration is that I can communicate with John here, in DA. I can really call him a friend of mine, because he don't care that he is famous and I'm not. He is my ideal illustrator !
Did you read much?
- ep, I used to read everything. We were a good friends with my school's librarian. Nowadays my famous author is Franz Kafka. I love his surreal dreamy writings. And it's not a secret that I prefer Sci-Fi! But as a child I read all fairy tales and all colorful books.
Why did you choose to illustrate for children ? And what advice would you give to beginners who are willing to go for it?
- Well I didn't choose to illustrate for Children. I choose to draw a colorful world that exists in my imagination. Usually children prefer such a world, that's how I realized that I can draw not only for myself, but even for my little friends. I guess everybody who would like to draw something, should find his own world, that could be shared with others. Don't try to be like somebody, try to be unique! We all have got our own world.
At the moment, are you working on a particular project?
- To tell the truth, during this night, I finally finished a gift for you, Children Illustrator's Club Probably the hardest and most interesting project "Operation Bell", for your Monthly Theme! And remember, it's not just a submission, it's a present !
(Now I'm enjoying a free time and the mild summer's wind )
It's time for our pot-pourri questions ! Favourite color, favourite movie, favourite food, favourite word, favourite sound ?
- My favourite color is blue (as usually)
Favourite movie is "Garden State" !!!
Favourite food is a tasty food !!!
Favourite word is flowerpot !!!
Favourite sound is accordions sound .
And that's it! Thank you so much, ~winiP for spending a little time with us! Take care of your child's dreams
If you want to know and see more works by Augustinas just follow this link:
If you'd like to know more about our little club you can go and read this journal.
Children's Illustrators Club Team
(`Adelaida, ~germaine-en-tongs and `cocinando-colores)